The Cal South Referee Program’s goal is to create and grow a qualified and well-trained group of referees. These referees will be instructed at and held to the highest standards with the intent of maintaining a safe and enjoyable playing environment for Cal South members of all ages and skill levels. Cal South referees will thoroughly understand and appropriately apply the Laws of the Game.
The Cal South Referee Program strives to actively recruit, develop, certify, and advance referees for all levels of play.
Recertification for Referee Licenses Checklist
Minimum age requirement: 14 Years of age
Note: To complete the correct requirements for your registration, if not grassroot referee, scroll down page to review your license requirements.
- To register and pay Click here
- Click here for full USSF License fees (Ex: Cost for 2023 Grassroot referee is now $70)
As part of the recertification process, referees must take and pass the online U.S. Soccer Grassroots Referee Recertification Quiz.
- To take Recert Online Quiz [English]: Click here
- Prueba de Recertificación [Español]: Clic aqui
- For other License Quiz’s scroll down this page and click on your License type to complete the correct quiz requirements. (Ex: Assignor, Regional, Futsal, etc)
Referee wishing to recertify must complete courses on Concussion Training and Sudden Cardiac Arrest Training, unless they have already taken and been verified through the Introduction to Safe & Healthy Playing Environments course.
- To go through the National Federation of High Schools site:
- Concussion Training: Click here
- Sudden Cardiac Arrest Training: Click here
- To go through the U.S. Soccer Learning Center:
- Introduction to Safe & Healthy Playing Environments: Click here
If you have already been verified on this information, you can skip this step.
If you are 18 years of age or older and registering to become a referee, you must also complete the following two compliance items…
If you are 18 or older, you will need to complete the Department of Justice (DOJ) background check and Live Scan fingerprinting process.
- To complete this, download the Live Scan form and instructions: Click here
SafeSport Training needs to be completed annually by all referees 18 years or older. SafeSport Training is available within two platforms. Please log back into the website you used previously to continue with your saved progress.
- To register for a SafeSport Training course through the U.S. Soccer Learning Center: Click here
- To register for a SafeSport Training course through the SafeSport site: Click here
Regional Assessors / Instructor
Referee Coach (Coming Soon)
National referee Coach (Administered through USSF)
Referee coordinator—Cal South License
|REGISTRATION YEAR||REGISTRATION PERIOD OPENS||REGISTRATION PERIOD CLOSES||CERTIFICATION VALID FROM||CERTIFICATION VALID TO|
|2021||July 1, 2020||June 14, 2021*||Date Approved||Dec 31, 2021|
|2022||July 1, 2021||June 14, 2022*||Date Approved||Dec 31, 2022|
|2023||July 1, 2022||June 14, 2023*||Date Approved||Dec 31, 2023|
* Registration Period Close is strict to allow Cal South enough time to process your registration with the U.S. Soccer Federation.
Additional Officiating Elements
- Join a local Referee Association in order to receive matches for work.
- To find a Referee Association in your area: Click here
Capelli Sport is the Official Apparel Provider for the Cal South Referee Program. Look professional out on the pitch with our line of Cal South Referee Program logo polos, jackets, and t-shirts. Need referee uniforms? Training gear for both on and off the field? Our pricing is economical and easily affordable!
- Every purchase via the link below for the Capelli Sport/Cal South Referee Program’s online store helps with funding for our program:
GET YOUR GEAR NOW!